Huge thanks are due to everyone for all the work they put into our participation at the Lambeth Country Show. It was a real success for BPCG and a true team effort with all of us
- giving so much advice on growing plants
- selling so many plants and produce
- explaining to many people about BPCG, our Raise the Barn project and the broad range of our activities.
- winning prizes at the ‘Flower Show’ competition . Of the eleven categories we entered, nine won prizes with the onions, red currants, vase of herbs and perennial flower arrangement all winning first prizes.
- being filmed for the BBC1 Farmers Country Showdown! (This will come out early 2020 – a long time but at least we can admire our summer tans when we finally see it!
- most importantly having a good time!
This week in the garden, we are going to have to keep both ourselves and our plants properly hydrated!
When you come to volunteer, be sure to bring a bottle of water with you, a sun hat and skin protection. We will definitely keep out of the greenhouses during the hottest hours of the day!
In hot dry weather, plants in pots are particularly vulnerable to dehydration, so watering these as well as our planters and the free standing beans bed in front of the greenhouses will be important.
There will be some harvesting to do including picking dwarf french beans, harvesting the rest of our kohlrabi, and some of our beetroots are also ready to harvest.
The red stemmed chard is ready for frequent cut and come again harvesting.
We will be sorting out our freezer so that we have a system to record all the produce we store in it for later use and cooking at community events.
We will be continuing to feed and tie in our tomatoes plants in the long tomato bed.
Saturday 27th July 1pm to 4pm, David and Petros are running an Introduction to Bee-Keeping. There are still a few tickets left so book here if you would like a ticket.
Sunday 28th July 10.30am – 1pm Cat is running a Summer pruning workshop focussing on how to prune stone fruits trees such as damsons, green gauges and apricots. We will be working on the trees in the woodland, and in the herb garden. There are free places for volunteers on this workshop so please reply to this email if you want to take a place. More details on the workshop are here
Sunday 28th July at 3pm there will be the monthly volunteers meeting. Minutes of the last meeting are here
Agenda for this Sunday meeting
- Could someone take the minutes please?
- We need more volunteers to water the gardens on Mondays, Tuesday and Wednesdays during August. This could be mornings or evenings, what every fits your availability. If you are able to do this please email Cat on garden@brockwellgreenhouses.
org.uk the dates you would be able to water.
- We need volunteers to help with running Saturday sessions over August and September. If you are free on Saturdays and would be happy to help with this, let Cat know and she can run through this with you. You don’t need to be an expert gardener to do this!
Sunday 28th July at 5.30pm to 8.30pm there will be a fabulous gig at the greenhouses by Matthew Byrne, a singer songwriter and story teller from Newfoundland in Canada. Do spread the word about this gig as it’s going to be lovely! More details on Matthew here and have a listen here. Let Kate know by replying to this email if you can help at the gig with set up, refreshment serving, clear up. We start set up at 3.30pm and finish by 9.30pm.