Here at Brockwell Park Community Greenhouses we are keen to welcome visits from schools, nurseries and other community groups. Our experienced staff and volunteers can offer a range of educational activities tied in to curriculum goals for all age groups. Some sample sessions are listed below:
- arts and crafts activities using natural materials and exploring colours, textures and patterns;
- design and technology workshops e.g. design and build a bird scarer or insect hotel;
- structured storytelling and writing activities such as keeping a nature diary;
- making maths fun e.g. estimating the height and age of a tree using measuring equipment;
- the parts of a plant; what do plants need to grow; plant adaptations etc.;
- exploring habitats including worm surveys and mini-beast hunts;
- weather- make a rain gauge or anemometer;
- healthy eating, food culture and links to festivals and celebrations.
This list is by no means exhaustive: the natural world and our facilities can be used to support classroom learning in many ways. Please get in touch if you would like to see some of our sample worksheets on a particular topic or explore any ideas that you may have.
We can also offer outreach work where we come to your school or nursery to run workshops or provide advice/support for your nature garden or growing activities.
Please contact Beth on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07427 685714 if you would like to find out more about our educational programme or book a visit.